Gameplay – How many can play TOD?
Truth or Dare for English Language Learners is rated for from 2 to 6 players. Four or five are ideal numbers. Groups of this size offer participants a good balance between being on the spot answering questions and the more comfortable role of participating from the sidelines.
Sideline play is still active as players are required to formulate questions and follow the topic at hand, adding comments while consolidating thinking. In groups larger than 6, reticent players will fall into the habit of passivity, spending more time observing, or day dreaming, than taking part.
Gameplay – Who can play TOD?
Truth or Dare for English Language Learners is recommended for adult and teen learners, false beginner and above. A solid rapport is a prerequisite for effective gameplay as a willingness to “open up” and share personal experiences very much depends on group cohesion.
While many children may have limited experience of life to draw upon, a number of instructors have reported excellent results deploying Truth or Dare for English Language Learners with school-aged children. One suggested a creative approach drawing on the more active imaginations of children by tasking them to simply make up experiences where anecdote may be lacking.
Gamewise, there are many offerings for children on the market. From the standpoint of adult language learners there is almost nothing. Truth or Dare for English Language Learners remedies that situation.
Mechanics – Word Associations
Truth or Dare Gameplay Schematic
Word Associations are so much a part of our daily lives that, for the most part, we just ignore them. They guide conversations forward and we’ve even come up with handy little conversational gambits to leverage the power of word associations in the tug and pull of everyday discourse. Phrases like “That reminds me…” or “Speaking of…” enable us to capture a conversation and selfishly take it in a new direction. In Truth or Dare for English Language Learners word associations come front and center, driving the game forward. Prompts first reverberate at a linguistic level but immediately catch on the experiential. Those associated memories then become the raw material for classroom discourse, a broader retelling, journal assignments and more.
Mechanics – The Dare Cards
Dare to Be
Sometimes questions are a little too probing and personal; sometimes the situation calls for a little bit of silliness and levity. Call it an escape clause but that’s where the Dare Cards come in. For whatever reason, participants can always opt to perform a “Dare” rather than submit to the “Truth”.
Mechanics – Assessment
Truth or Dare can be used as a self- or peer-assessment vehicle as well. Participants can use a scrap of paper or a more formalized hand-out like the downloadable below to track each time targets are met, reporting performance back with roll call at the end of the session. This a good way to build up both participation and performance grades over the course of the session while keeping participants focused on targets during gameplay.
Download: Peer Assessment Form
Mechanics – The Mini-Whiteboard
Integrated into the spinner, the mini-whiteboard is used to set language or other targets. For instance, gameplay can be used to practice recently acquired grammar points such as conditionals or modal auxiliaries or verb tenses. Alternately, encourage extensive talking with timed goals ranging from 30 seconds to several minutes. Another use of the mini-whiteboard is to encourage the use of contractions or to task those on the sidelines to practice specific question types. Be sure to use bona fide whiteboard markers to avoid permanently marking the spinner.
Mechanics – The Spinner
The spinner works as a randomizer in much the same way as the bottle in the game “Spin the Bottle”. Random turn-taking is preferable to working successively around the table as students will tend to zone out in the latter scenario once their turn has been taken, tuning back in as their turn approaches once again. With random turn-taking participants never know when they will be required to respond and thus pay closer attention at all times.
Purchasing – What? No Tax…
Purchasing – How much does PayPal cost?
For you, not a cent. Sure enough PayPal takes a cut of every transaction before depositing the remainder in my account. That’s the price of security. It’s efficient and secure and that’s all that really matters. You don’t even have to have a PayPal account to use the service. All that’s required is a valid credit card. For more information follow this link: PayPal.
Purchasing – What is PayPal?
PayPal is a transaction intermediary service. You don’t want to give your credit card number to a complete stranger and, frankly, I don’t want the responsibility of handling it. That’s where PayPal comes in. PayPal, a subsidiary of E-Bay, has developed the technology and expertise to process online transactions with complete security. All transactions that originate on this website pass through the PayPal gateway, taking place within the confines of high security servers. When you decide to buy Truth or Dare for English Language Learners you’ll see PayPal at the end of the checkout procedure.
Purchasing – Japan
Those in Japan with a yen for lively classroom banter can order Truth or Dare for English Language Learners directly from our distributor englishbooks.jp. Doing so will ensure faster deliver, significant savings on shipping and even a reduction in the carbon footprint associated with your purchase. Smiles all around!
Look for ToD in retail outlets throughout Japan that specialize in English language books and educational materials as well.
The term ‘Speekeezy Publications’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of Speekeezy.ca at all times. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the Canadian copyright law, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- Any and all trademarks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may create a link to www.speekeezy.ca from another website or document without prior written consent. You may not, however, hotlink to any content on this website without prior written consent.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of Canada.
- Speekeezy Publications reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices at any time, and such modifications shall be effective immediately upon posting of such changes. Your continued access of this website shall be deemed your conclusive acceptance of the modified agreement. You are therefore responsible for regularly reviewing these Conditions of Use and additional terms or notices posted on the Speekeezy.ca website.
1. Collection of Data. Our registration process requires only a valid e-mail address and a unique user ID and password. Providing us with other information is at your option. Please take note that your user name, e-mail address, or other submissions that you make on this site may contain your real name or other personally identifiable information but we’ll never make these available here in the public areas [message boards, galleries, blog] of this site. Like many web sites, we may also automatically receive general information that is contained in our server log files such as your IP address and cookie information.
2. Use of Data. We may use Data to customize and enhance your user experience on this site. Data may be used to communicate important security or technical information under extraordinary circumstances as deemed necessary by the owners of the site. Your Data will not be provided to third parties except (i) pursuant to legal process or law enforcement; (ii) we find that your use of this site violates this Policy, our Terms of Service, other usage guidelines or as deemed reasonably necessary by us to protect our legal rights and/or property.
5. Children. This site is SurfSafe and as such is suited to all general audiences. For more information, please contact our webmaster.
6. Editing or Deleting Your Account Information. We provide you with the ability to edit the information in your user account information that you provided to us in registration by using your personal page configuration area. You may request deletion of your user account by contacting our webmaster. Content or other data that you may have provided to us and that is not contained within your user account, such as posts that may appear within our forums, may continue to remain on our site at our discretion even though your user account is deleted.
9. Contact Information. If you have any questions about this Policy or our web site, please feel free to contact our webmaster.